This former school building follows Greek revival architecture and is composed of a ground floor and a basement. With great significance to Edinburgh from its construction back in 1829, the school was present here until 1968 when it relocated to newer premises. Due to this, the building was vacant which led to it being used for the possibly newly devolved assembly. Although a complete refurbishment, the devolved assembly did not form until later on, leading to the building still being vacant. Since then, it has housed departments for the local council.
Very recently, the building has been approved to be transformed into a National Centre for Music.